What Happens When a Spouse Leaves the Family Permanently?


What Happens When a Spouse Leaves the Family Permanently?

Matters of divorce or abandonment are trying times. We often make rash decisions fueled by emotion and against what we know to be wrong or counterproductive. If your spouse leaves the family for good, you can ask the court to grant you child support. If your spouse refuses to pay the support, he or she may be put in jail or their driver’s license may be revoked. The court is going to act in the best interest of any children that are involved. Remember that if your spouse leaves you and your children.

The consent or signature of your spouse is not absolutely necessary to get a divorce, but if they refuse to sign the papers or you cannot find them the process can take longer and may be more frustrating. It’s a good idea to speak with an attorney if you’re left in a situation such as this. Family law attorneys are experienced and well-versed in family law and work to help their clients receive the proper support. Sometimes this means ensuring they get child support from their spouse to help with expenses related to their children, and sometimes it means getting alimony from an ex-spouse. Divorce can be tricky under these circumstances, too.

The law recognizes this problem and as long as you follow the appropriate steps, you can obtain a divorce if you cannot find your spouse. Make sure that you first try to find your spouse by looking up telephone numbers and addresses, checking with jails and hospitals, and any other means that might help you find him or her. Keep track of the methods you have used to try to track down your spouse, and make sure you record the results or your findings. If you speak with anybody, make sure you ask for their name so you can show it to the court if they ask for the information.

You will then publish a service in a local newspaper, as ordered by the courts. You may have to publish the notice for several weeks. Make sure you publish it exactly when and where and in the proper manner as directed by the courts. If this is unsuccessful, you may be allowed to begin the divorce process. An attorney will advise you properly regarding the legal consequences of filing for divorce. There’s no substitute for legal consultation, as cases will differ from one to the next.


About Author

Comments are closed.